Random iphoneographer doing the “daily practice” in San Bernardino, California
Indisputable answers to the questions that have been asked since the beginning of time… of travel photography time.
- Q: What type of camera should I buy for travel photography?
A: A camera that takes photos
- Q: What is the best camera hands down?
A: The one you have in your hands
- Q: I don’t get to travel often, how can I become a better travel photographer?
A: Follow the daily practice.
The Daily Practice
- Make a choice: sunrise or sunset
- If you picked sunrise, set your alarm clock for 1 hour before sunrise
If sunset, leave work 15 minutes before sunset
- Identify a spot with a view on your way to or from work: your daily spot
- Get to your spot 30 minutes before sunrise or just before sunset
- Take eleven pictures
- Go to work, then home… or just go home
- Make yourself a cup of tea or a glass of wine or mountain dew
- Download your pictures and display them on a large screen
- Look at the pictures… do you like the composition?
- Look at the settings used for each picture: ISO, shutter speed, aperture
- Visit your daily spot… every day